Mrs Naima still remembers the days when she was a housemaid. She worked for a wealthy family since she was 9. "Although they were kind and sympathetic, the idea that I was an illiterate maid was giving me a lot of pain," Naima complained. "But it was until I joined a literacy circle organized by a local NG association that my life started to change," she added.
Now, Mrs Naima is the manager of a literacy association that she established with the collaboration with other ex-illiterates. She really owes her present situation to the first moment she picked up a pen and a paper. Her most enjoyable moment is when she wrote her first speech and read it out to a large audience of educated people.
A. Answer with TRUE or FALSE, then JUSTIFY your answer from the text.
- Naima is now a housemaid.
- Naima set up the literacy association with the help of her husband.
B. Complete these sentences from the text.
- The family Naima served were______________________________________
- A local NG association organized _________________________________
C. Find in the text words having the same meaning as…
- very rich
A. Write the verbs in brackets in the Simple Past or Past Perfect.
- She (do) ______________ the housework before she (go) ______________ shopping.
- I wish I (see) ______________ her face when you told her the news.
- The Romans (build) ______________ fortresses all around Britain.
B. Fill in the blanks with : to so that so as to
- We should collaborate on this project ______________ we can achieve good results.
- Advertisements are used ______________ sensitize people to the importance of literacy.
- Naima learned to read and write ______________ change her miserable life.
C. Link these sentences by using the expressions in brackets.
- He didn't respect the speed limits. He had an accident. (consequently)
- Naima didn't want to stay a maid all her life. She went to a literacy circle. (because)
- The school was far. He dropped out. (so)
D. Fill in the blanks with right word from this list.
accomplishment, trouble, look after, urban, partnership
- Young people have __________ finding jobs these days because many don't have adequate diplomas and enough experience.
- Industrial pollution and overcrowded neighborhoods are two main problems of _________ areas.